Major performance upgrades and now with added love for vinyl.
In the six years since the last NAIT integrated amplifiers were released, Naim’s research and development team have worked on a range of amplifier improvements. The result is upgraded power amplifier sections for SUPERNAIT 3, delivering greater pace and intimacy to their musical delivery – whether it’s driving a pair of loudspeakers or your favourite pair of headphones.
SUPERNAIT 3 has received significant performance upgrades, including a built-in phono stage, making it a perfect partner for turntables, as well as for streamers, CD players, or any other music source people want to enjoy with the signature Naim sound.
It also includes a Class A preamp output stage which doubles as a headphone amplifier and ceramic heat-sink technology that minimizes capacitive coupling between the chassis and output transistors for optimum sound quality.
Its inputs are each individually decoupled and hand-wired to minimize noise and interference while internal switching employs ultra-low-noise, constant current sources which are derived directly from the electronic design of the flagship NAC 552 preamplifier.
The SUPERNAIT 3 can be upgraded with our external power supplies, power amplifiers and even cabling upgrades to get the best from all sources.
With our typical obsessive attention to detail – all in service of achieving the most authentic musical performance – the SUPERNAIT 3 benefits from the following features:
- Class A headphone amplification
- Alps Blue Velvet volume control
- Reed relay input selection
- Ceramic insulators for the power transistors
- Galvanically isolated microprocessor control section
- Microphonic-isolating PCB mounts
Step up from the NAIT XS3 to the SUPERNAIT 3 and you benefit from a range of superior features, all designed to deliver even better sound quality:
- Full 24V DR module built-in: enjoy the purer power and performance improvement of Naim’s Discrete Regulation technology for the entire pre-amp stage.
- Larger toroidal transformer in the power supply: provides greater power and speed of recovery
- Additional leaded through-hole components in the signal path: further minimizes negative effects of vibration and transient thermal conditions
- Chassis-mounted input sockets hand-wired to the circuit boards: offers enhanced vibration isolation
- Full Alps Blue Velvet balance control
The upgrades in more detail:
- Our R&D team has found a way to more than double the speed of the voltage gain stage, which in turn doubles the rate at which the speaker output stage can react.
- The second gain stage transistors have been optimized, so they no longer need to be shielded by a cascode stage transistor. Removing the cascode means less amplifier stabilisation is required: that doubles the slew rate and delivers an uplift in sound quality.
- The phono circuit topology comprises 3 stages: the gain stage, passive equalization and final gain and active equalization. This enables excellent noise performance, extended RIAA equalization beyond the audio band and great overload headroom.
- All RIAA equalization capacitors and the RIAA resistors are ‘through-hole’ mounted film designs, with low microphonic pickup and excellent transient performance. As phono stages are 1000x more sensitive than other inputs, this greatly benefits the sound quality.
- Input impedance is 47kΩ in parallel with 470pF capacitive loading; the gain is perfect for 5mV moving magnet cartridges.
|MM Phono Input||via RCA, 47k parallel 470pF input impedance, suitable for 5mV cartridges|
|Line Level Inputs||130mV sensitivity, 47k input impedance, suitable for 2V|
|Power Amp In||DIN Socket|
|Powered Accessory Sockets||+24V for Naim phono amplifier|
|Speaker Outputs||80W per channel into 8 ohms (4mm sockets), 130W per channel into 4 ohms|
|Line Outputs Variable (level)||Pre-amp (DIN), Bi-amp (DIN), Sub (RCA pair) 775mV, <50 ohms|
|Line Outputs Fixed (level)||AV (DIN), Stream (DIN) 130mV, 600 ohms|
|Headphone Output||1/4 inch (6.35mm) TRS Socket|
|Updates||1 x USB mini-B|
|Remote Input||1 x 3.5mm jack on rear|
|Case||Black powder coated|
|Front||Brushed and black anodized|
|Shipping Weight||17.25 kg|
|Shipping Dimensions||240 x 590 x 500 mm|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||87 x 432 x 314 mm|
|Power Consumption (max.)||400VA|
|Mains Supply||115V, 230V; 50 or 60Hz|
|Power Consumption (quiescent)||37VA|
|Supplied with||NARCOM-5 Remote Control, Mains Lead, Link Plug and Safety Manual|
|Front Panel||Volume control, balance control and front panel buttons|
|Remote Control||Infra-Red (RC5)|